Cheney Free Press -

By Matthew O. Stephens
Reporter 

Teen in custody over bomb threat

Boy used school computers to learn to make bombs

 

Last updated 11/11/2021 at 11:56am



MEDICAL LAKE – A local boy who remains in the custody of the Spokane County Juvenile Detention Center used high school computers to research bomb-making before threatening on social media to blow up the school.

The 16-year-old boy, whose name has not yet been released, is charged with threats to bomb or injury property, records show.

He was arrested Nov. 5 following an investigation by School Resource Deputy Carlos after allegedly threatening to place homemade pipe bombs in the high school, records show. The threat was allegedly posted to the suspect’s social media account Nov 1.

The investigation followed a high school student reaching out to the deputy after learning of the threat made via social media by the juvenile suspect, records show. School officials were also made aware of the situation.

Carlos then contacted boy and found probable cause for an arrest, records show.

According to court documents, the boy said he taught himself how to construct pipe bombs using school computers to search for ways to make the bombs.

He also told police he had planned to make several bombs to be placed throughout the school, although he did not have an exact date, according to records.

Documents show the boy said he had carried a bomb with him at one point, but tossed it in the lake to “get rid of it.”

The suspect also named three other minors and made claims of their involvement, records show.

Those minors said they knew the suspect had been working on bombs, but didn’t know about a plan to use the explosives.

“The initial information indicates the suspect was planning an event and had even researched ways to carry it out,” a statement from the Spokane County Sheriff’s Office said. “However, there was no evidence at the time to suggest there was an imminent threat to the safety of students or staff.”

No weapons were found during an initial search of the student’s property, records show.

Officials said they take threats of this nature extremely seriously, encouraging residents to “say something if you see something.”

This remains an active investigation and no further information is currently available.

Anyone with information regarding the bomb threat is asked to call Major Crimes Detective Brandon Wilson at 509-477-3476, reference caser No. 10144994.

Reporter Matthew O. Stephens can be reached at reporter2@cheneyfreepress.com

 

Reader Comments(0)

 
 

Our Family of Publications Includes:

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2021

Rendered 12/06/2021 14:26