Fire at 5th Street residence causes major damage
This Week in History
Last updated 1/12/2023 at 10:02am
A fire broke out at a 5th Street home on Wed. 11, 1939, and caused an estimated $1,000 in damages. In today’s dollars this would be over $21,000.
The fire department arrived on the scene shortly after 8:00pm, and were able to subdue the flames roughly an hour later.
The residents of the home, Mr. and Mrs. Jack Bafus, were not in at the time the fire broke out and no one was reported injured.
The fire department suspected that a “defective chimney” was likely responsible for the fire, “though spontaneous combustion or electrical might have been to blame.”
The fire completely des...