Cheney Free Press -

Eagles battle in overtime to top Missouri-Kansas City at 2K


Last updated 11/21/2018 at 7:52pm

Paul Delaney

Eastern Washington forward Jesse Hunt (34) battled on both ends of the court last Saturday leading the Eagles to an 87-80 overtime win in the consolation match-up in the 2K Empire Classic over Missouri-Kansas City.

Two games that went into overtime delivered a split for the Eastern Washington men's basketball team last weekend and the Eagles first victory of the young season.

Behind the career-high effort - and clutch shooting of Jesse Hunt - Eastern rallied to tie the game and go on to defeat the University of Missouri-Kansas City 87-80, Saturday, Nov. 17 at Reese Court in the consolation game of the 2K Empire Classic benefitting the Wounded Warrior Project.

Eastern was relegated to the consolation game following their 82-78 loss in overtime against Wisconsin-Green Bay on Friday.

Hunt, a senior, scored 15 of EWU's 22 points down the stretch, including a 3-point shot with just 3 seconds to play to tie the game against the Kangaroos. His 32 points and 12 rebounds proved to be his second consecutive double-double.

Hunt was named to the all-tournament team for his efforts, which also included two other baskets in the final 2 minutes, 2 seconds of regulation. He then scored eight of EWU's 18 points in overtime.

"Jesse was there and knocked down the shot," Eastern head coach Shantay Legans said. "Our guys spaced the floor and Jesse came up big."

Another senior, Ty Gibson, scored 16 with a career-high eight boards for the Eagles and sophomore Jack Perry chipped in 11. UMKC's Xavier Bishop finished with 28 points.

In the opening contest of the tournament, five Eagles scored in double figures, led by the double-double of 15 points and 10 rebounds by Hunt. True freshman Austin Fadal came off the bench with 12 points, while sophomore Jacob Davison scored 11 in his season debut. Gibson (12) and Cody Benzel (11) also hit double figures.

Eastern fell behind by deficits of eight points in the first half, and 11 and eight in the second half only to rally and take a 66-62 lead with inside a minute left. But the Phoenix put together a rally of their own to send the game into overtime, then went on an 8-0 run in the five-minute overtime, an effort the Eagles could not overcome.

The Eagles (1-3) will have a week off before playing at the University of Washington on Nov. 27 in the first of five-straight road games.

Paul Delaney can be reached at


Reader Comments


Our Family of Publications Includes:

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2019

Rendered 01/21/2020 23:13