Cheney Free Press -

Get to know Joe Pakootas


Listen up; there is a great alternative to Cathy McMorris Rodgers. He is Joseph (Joe) Pakootas (puh-KOE-tuss). Many newspaper letters voice disappointment with Rodgers’ votes on food stamps, unemployment benefits, corporate welfare, and more. She consistently represents the wealthy top 10 percent, leaving out important interests of 90 percent of the public. With those voting numbers, we can change this picture.

Pakootas would be the state’s first Native American Congressman. He is a proven leader in Eastern Washington, as former chairman of the Confederated Tribes of the Colville Reservation, and a successful businessman. As CEO, he managed a $10 million turnaround for the tribes. He has focused on sustainable business enterprises. He received the top minority business award in the state from the University of Washington.

Pakootas, at 56, has for years coached sports in his community. He has an MBA from the University of Washington. He led cleanup of Canadian mining heavy metals in the Columbia River and Lake Roosevelt.

Among his goals are protecting waters of our area, strengthening employment, and developing programs for children in need.

Are you registered to vote? If you’ve moved, you may need to re-register. Be ready to mark your ballot for Pakootas in November.

Roz Luther



Reader Comments


Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2017