Cheney Free Press -

Staff Reporter 

ML tackles marijuana ordinance


The Medical Lake City Council held a quick meeting Tuesday, Oct. 1, approving a moratorium on the acceptance of land use permits relating to marijuana.

Nearly a year after voters approved an initiative to allow recreational sale and use of marijuana, rules finally arrived for cities to create an ordinance. City Administrator Doug Ross said there was really only one location within the city where storefronts could go.

The moratorium will be addressed again once the city has crafted its ordinance for marijuana retail.

Also approved at the City Council meeting was the sale of a parcel to Tammy Roberson for $500, near the railroad along Brooks Road near Roberson’s property.

“This has been going on for quite some time,” Ross said, referencing the amount of work put in to process the land. “The city didn’t know we owned the property.”

The small plot of land is largely comprised of a wetland, and is unusable for any development.

The City Council also approved the final leg of its sidewalk project along SR 902, with the final product running from Graham Road to the intersection of 902 and Lefevre. The project is funded by a grant from the Transportation Improvement Board, which features a 95-5 payment system.

The board will take on 95 percent of the payment with Medical Lake putting up the remaining 5 percent, with the total cost of the project coming in at over $170,000.

Medical Lake will pay less than $9,000. Accelerated Construction was the low bidder on the contract, and received the bid award from the City Council at Tuesday night’s meeting.

Another item approved at the meeting was an agreement with the Association of Washington Cities for health care benefits.

Finance manager Jennifer Hough said state auditors would be in town the last week of October for about two or three weeks, going through city records.

James Eik can be reached at


Reader Comments


Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2017