Garden produce welcome at Cheney Food Bank
Cheney Food Bank director John Matthews (front row right) poses with Eastern Washington University football head coach Beau Baldwin (middle), EWU Food Drive coordinator Nadine Arévalo (left) and members of the Eagle football team who helped unload food during the university’s 2011 summer food drive.
The Cheney Food Bank and the Cheney Clothing Exchange are located in two adjacent units of the Wren Pierson Building at the corner of Third Street and C Street.
Retired Col. John Matthews (U.S. Air Force) oversees the operation of the food bank that currently serves about 400 families and receives approximately 1,200 visits per year, distributing about 100,000 pounds of food.Volunteers put in 2000 hours of service to the food bank annually.
Matthews has been involved in community service since he began participating in what was then known as “Cheney Community Service” in 1958. Back the...
For access to this article please sign in or subscribe.