Cheney Historical Museum
In 1887 the Cheney School District organized its own school after dissolution of the merger with the Benjamin P. Cheney Academy over, among other issues, the feeling that Congregationalists had too much influence over the Academy, which was supposed to be non-sectarian.
The district hired the newly arrived 22-year-old William J. Sutton as principal of its school. The Cheney Public School offered instruction for grades one through eight. School was conducted in the old wooden County Courthouse building at the northeast corner of Fourth and Normal [College] Ave.
Learn more about our area's hi...